Monday 24 June 2013

How A Stranger I Met On A Trip Changed My Life

The guy who said that travelling is a great form of education definitely knew what he was talking about. I am Huub Teesing and I am a successful man in my mid-fifties. As the CEO of my own company, I meet people from different backgrounds. My job is to travel around Europe looking for good smart phone deals. My firm sells mobile phones. We have a large shop in central London and this location serves as company headquarters, showroom and sales office. This location is also my base when I happen to be in town.

Now, I really enjoy my job. I love meeting people. I love mobile phones iPads and computers. I also like buying phones at great prices and selling these phones at a decent profit. In my spare time, I play chess, drink beer, dance and swim.

One minor problem with being the CEO is that sometimes, you begin to feel you are a very special person. This is not necessarily a bad thing but it does not do your modesty much good. In my own case, I am the boss. The buck stops at my table. I give all the orders. I formulate and implement company policy and I come up with bright ideas once in a while. I built my company from scratch and I am doing quite well. If you are not careful, all these achievements will go to your head and this is exactly what happened to me. I began to see myself as a very special dude.

I usually travel first class. Nothing less will do. One day, I missed my flight and had to settle for economy class. It was on this flight that I met a stranger who changed my life for good. I was flying from London to Helsinki and my destination was Nokia Headquarters.

The guy I met on this flight was about thirty. He was educated, intelligent and very self-assured. I became very interested in this guy when he told me he sold mobile phones for a living. He was going to Helsinki too and he was interested in cheap Nokia phones with basic functions and long battery life.

This young man told me that he sold most of his phones to the African market. Nigeria, Kenya and Ghana were some of his favourite phone markets. I was learning a lot from this guy but I did not want to let him know this. Anyway, we got to Helsinki, exchanged phone numbers and promised to keep in touch with each other.

A few weeks later, I was back in Helsinki. I had done some research and I found out there was good money to be made in the African mobile phone market. These days, I supply mobile phones, laptops and iPads to customers in Kenya, Nigeria, Ghana and Egypt. Thanks to a stranger I met on a flight to Helsinki, I have entered the lucrative African mobile phone market and I am making good money to boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment